If there's one (tiny) downside to all this cool, clever style, it's that the crowd can sometimes run into the trust-fund hipster vein, so be warned if you have a short fuse when it comes to ironic headwear. One morning at breakfast in the fabulous diner, a twenty-something fellow shuffled in wearing a grotty, artfully disheveled caftan, morose-looking model in tow. Reclining languidly at his corner table, he perused the stocks page of the Wall Street Journal and sipped coffee in silence across from the bored and hungry-looking girlfriend. Most days, it would have been a struggle for me to keep from throwing a bread roll at the back of his head and shouting "Get a job!" Yet my french toast was so delicious, the coffee so divine, everything bathed in such a bright, clear desert light, that even I looked on the world of slumming hipsters with a more tolerant slant on that glorious weekend....
Now that we've got our Coachella beauty must-haves sorted out, let's move onto a festival edition of this week's Friday Frock. Except of course it's not really a frock, is it? You'll definitely need a pair of denim shorts underneath that, unless you're about 5 ft and short waisted, so let's call it a tunic. Moniker aside, I think it's perfect - casual and flowy, but the beautifully intricate beadwork adds a bit of glamour as the day turns into night. I always wholeheartedly suggest always wearing shorts/skorts/massive frilly knickers to any outdoor music event you attend, due to my last, rather memorable encounter with the main stage at Coachella.
In brief, it involved the beginning of The Killers' show, where the close proximity to Brandon Flowers and/or a sudden onset of acute anemia and dehydration caused me to suddenly drop like a stone as the curtain raised. I particularly like to hear about how I was hauled over the stage barricades, limp, unconcious and twitching, by my sister's superhuman sibling survival instincts and crowd-parting death stare. I'm sure she was hoping the divine Mr Flowers would notice her in the crowd that night, but seeing her hike up her miniskirt and launch over the metal fencing, polka dot knickers in full HD glory on the jumbotrons, was probably not what she had in mind. I just thank god I was wearing shorts, and wasn't trampled to death by hipsters.
So wear something underneath, okay? And if you have a good concert story, share it and make me feel a little less ridiculous. Or if you're in Indio this weekend, tell us what you're wearing and how it's going. And for goodness sakes drink plenty of water.
1) Super by Perricone Sun Kissed SPF 25 - start with this light sun protection with a hint of tint, for natural, glowing skin.
2) Caudalie Beauty Elixir - to refresh and invigorate tired skin with rosemary and mint. Heaven on a hot, dusty day.
3) Josie Maran Bear Naked Facial Wipes - gentle and mild for quick touch ups. Also, there's polar bears on the packaging, which will always get points from me.
4) Laura Mercer Kohl in Antique Jade - because black is very rock, but oh so dull - this creamy stick lines eyes with a rich, warm shade that has a hint of green depth and will look so much prettier in the outdoor light.
5) Laura Mercier Caviar Shadow Stick in Khaki -smudge your liner with this fabulous cream shadow/liner - for undone but glam eyes that will look magic in the desert sunset. Follow rock rules when it smudges/fades - just add more over top.
6) Eyeko Skinny Mascara – for long, fluttery lashes that last and last, with none of the dry, prickly feeling of a waterproof mascara. You should probably bring along the included guitar pick - someone's sure to need it, and you just might save the day.
7) Burt's Bees Grapefruit Lip Balm - don't mess with fancy new glosses or balms on a day in the desert - play it safe with what you know works. Refreshing citrus smell and super hydrating formula leaves lips plump and natural, and you can tuck it in your bra when you dance. That's what I do anyway.
8) Klorane Gentle Oat Milk Dry Shampoo - freshen up roots and add some cool texture to your locks in between sets.
9) Tocca Stella Scented SPF 30 Wipes - touch up shoulders, arms and chest throughout the day with these heavenly, blood-orange scented SPF towelettes. Don't forget your feet - gladiator sandal tan is never attractive.
10) NARS Paradise Brush/Bronzer/Highlighter Trio - the perfect festival compact - in a genius padded, zip package, with universally flattering hues for defined, sunkissed cheeks and temples.
Who’s your favorite in the Coachella line-up this year? Do you have a must-have item for long days in the sun? Share your tips below!