Gorgeous Getaway - Orient Express





This week's gorgeous getaway is a (rather hefty) one-way ticket through history, intrigue and adventure - who among us hasn't dreamt of travelling on the Venice Simplon Orient Express? Riding the hallowed rails for five nights from Istanbul to Paris in the beautifully panelled Art Nouveau carriages should be enough in itself, but I would have certain stipulations for my dream journey - they include... 1) That all travellers that are in anyway annoying and/or wearing casual/modern/denim dress must be immediately thrown from the train, moving or otherwise. 2) Fellow guests must include, but are not limited to, a Prussian prince/count in disguise, a troupe of travelling circus performers, a Russian dowager with a small pet monkey, her mousy secretary with a hidden agenda (and I don't mean her calendar), and a porter with a surprising past. 3) Piano music will be supplied at all times in the bar, jaunty, romantic and/or suspenseful depending on the present mood. 4) We must at some point find ourselves trapped in a snowstorm for an acceptably exciting duration.

Cocktails and sublime meals on tap of course. I'd bring my poodle, a stack of good mysteries and monogrammed luggage. Not much else since I would have had to sell it all to buy the ticket. Now we just need to work on the wardrobe…













4 comments:

  1. I'd sell everything for that trip, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrified of trains, so I'll pass!!! The pictures are interesting (and slightly creepy to me!) But the rest of you go have fun ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing! so chic and classy.

    http://lillasface.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, sorry Mary - so this is more like your worst nightmare than a gorgeous getaway - trapped in a snowdrift in a tiny, darkly panelled train! I'll pick something less claustrophobic next week:) I'm horrified by submarines, personally - I think I'd take my cyanide pill before we were even fully submerged.

    ReplyDelete